Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Snack Wars

Just like her mother, Sloane is a "grazer".  If given the option she would snack all day long and never eat a true meal.  Recently, Sloane started this habit of yelling "snack" in a demanding, rude voice whenever she wanted something to eat.  It was kinda funny to begin with but then started to wear on both John and me.  

I came up with this great idea.  A "snack box" in the fridge.  I think I recall seeing similar ideas on Pinterest or other blogs and thought I'd give it a try.  I found a little containter we weren't using and filled it with snacks that I was comfortable with her having at anytime.  

It wasn't too long after I put it in the fridge that she wanted a snack.  I showed her the box and explained that from now on anytime she wanted a snack she could come pick one from her snack box.  She didn't have to ask mommy or daddy for permission BUT when the snacks were gone, they were gone (for the day).  She was thrilled.  She clearly didn't realize or care that the snacks in her box were healthy options.  She just wanted to pick herself.  

So... I took this photo about twenty minutes ago when I was done stocking the snack box...

This is what the snack box looks like now.  We're minus a fruit strip, two applesauces, a yogurt, a granola bar and a string cheese.  I hope this new freedom of picking a snack whenever we please wears off quickly or I may have to come up with another plan.  :)



    

1 comment:

  1. Hello Brees Family-
    My mil sent me your blog! So excited to catch up on your family. What a great idea for a snack box. I am going to try that with my kiddos.
    So glad to hear your passion is fitness. That has been my new passion as well, paired with eating with real food.
    Hope all is well and I can't wait to keep up on your family!
    -Joanna

    ReplyDelete